Star Gazes At Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory
CVAC is pleased to assist with public star gazes at the observatory atop the Minges Science Building on the campus of Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory
The observatory at Lenoir-Rhyne is at the top of a building and presents access difficulties if you have mobility limitations or are in a wheelchair.
Click Here for Information about the Minges Science Building
Click Here for Information about Lenoir Rhyne University
Click Here for an article on the Lenoir-Rhyne University Observatory
The next scheduled observing events at Lenoir-Rhyne are:
Friday, December 13, 2013Free Public Observing atop the Minges Science Building 7 - 10 p.m. Arrive before 9 p.m.
- Take I-40 to Hickory to Exit 125
- Take Lenoir-Rhyne Blvd toward Hickory
- Cross Tate Blvd.
- Follow signs through the worlds craziest intersection on to the Lenoir-Rhyne University campus.
- Go under the railroad bridge
- Go to the second stop light
- Turn Right
- At the next intersection, turn hard left
- And at the next intersection, turn left
- As soon as you have turned left, turn right into the campus.
- The Minges Science Building will be the building on your left. It has a silver dome on top
- Park in the lots in front of the Minges building. Parking is usually available in front of the building
When You Arrive...
Parking is available in the parking lot in front of the Minges Science Building and in other designated parking spots on campus.
Enter the Minges Science Building from either end.
If entering from the south entrance, next to the library, go down the hall to the center and take the elevator to the 4th floor.
If entering from the north entrance, next to the dorm, go either up or down one flight of stairs and go down the hall to the center and take the elevator to the 4th floor.
The 4th floor is a mechanical/utility floor. Take the stairs up to the observing deck.
When you arrive at the top, sign the guest book if there is one.
Turn right and go outside and take a right to the telescopes
Or, go through the door straight ahead and up the spiral stairs to the telescope in the dome. Please close the door behind you.